Friday 25 February 2011

Upgrade Tyres?

Contential Travel Contact Tyres
Now my riding trends and preferences tend to be at present a combination of trail ways and cycle paths. Additionally I was also cycling to my work at least a couple of times a week (weather permitting). Hence my dilemma about considering upgrading my tyres.

My GT Agressor XC03 bike was factory fitted with a standard set of unbranded 'knobbly' tyres. They performed well off road and dirt track, but were hard work on-road or cycle path.
I conducted some research and discovered a "best of both worlds" tyre. The Contential Travel Contact
In short this tyre is a slick type tyre in the centre and has grip and "knobals" on the outer edges and shoulders.
Plus it has a Kevlar strip on the inside of the tyre centre, which provides extra protection against punctures.
Rolling resistance on-road is minimal and the extra speed and roll you get for no extra effort on the pedals is really noticeable. Also it has a very low tyre hum. So highly recommended for riding on-road.
But what about cycle paths and woodland paths or trail ways? Again very pleasing, the grip is surprising good in a straight line and really comes into it's own when corning, even at speed.
Value for money was again excellent. I found a package saving at Halfords. For less than £20 I purchased one tyre and received a Contential inner tube free.
The look on the bike is fantastic, with the Contential branding and colouring on the tyre wall quite prominent and eye-catching
As you may notice there is a subtle reflective type weave patten that runs around the outer tyre wall, which in my opinion enhances the style.
The installation and fitting of the tyres was simple and straight forward. Tyre pressures I used was high and this was the first time I had used Presta valves. Which now I have used Presta valves ould never use anything else!
The feel of the tyre is very hard and gave me great confidence in the quality and longevity of this purchase.
My rides were now much longer and my commute much quicker. So far I have ridden over 600 miles on these tyres and as yet I have had NO punctures and have not had the need to re-inflate the tyre pressure. They are a highly recommended tyre.
The only concern I have with them is how they perform in very muddy conditions. I do accept that this is not there purpose or design. I have tested this out, when I had to take a detour off of my normal trail way route and venture onto a woodland track. The tyre performed well in a straight line, but did start to slip and slide on muddy corners or twisting trails.
In summary I would highly recommend these tyres if your ride is mainly commuting or on cycle paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment