Friday 10 June 2011

Cateye Vectra Wireless Computer

Knowing and viewing attributes and elements when riding my bike is quite important to me. I have a need to know....

  1. How fast am I travelling now?
  2. How far have I ridden so far?
  3. What was my fastest speed?
Therefore I invested in a very small, quite inexpensive piece of kit called a Cateye Vectra Wireless computer. First impressions when I opened the box was good.

The display unit was solidly made and appeared to be very high quality. The second part is the sensor unit that is fitted to your front fork. Again well made, robust and looked very sturdy. Read the instructions and fitted the unit is minutes. I decided to mount the display unit on my stem, to keep it central and easy to view, rather than locate on my handlebars. Fixings come included and consist of a mounting pad and two small zip ties for the display unit and the same for the sensor unit on the stem.
Set up and testing was again straight forward, as the display registers the sensor unit signal is being received using a pulsing symbol on the display.
The display itself is quite large and easy to read, although it doesn't have a back light, so nighttime or low light levels makes it a little difficult to see. But I would argue that in these conditions full attention should be in front of you anyway!
Operation of the display unit is via a single solid button at the bottom front edge. Clicking this button cycles the smaller display between various information. For example clock for time, maximum (or top) speed recorded, odometer for total miles travelled.

The speed is the large display that remains consistent and always displayed on the front screen.  I have been more than happy and pleased with the reliability, build quality and functionality of this small and very good unit from Cateye.
I purchased the unit from my local bike shop after doing some initial research online to gauge opinions and feedback, plus I took advice from teh helpful man in the shop as well. Cost me less than £25 and has worked relaiably for about 3 years without (as yet) a need to replace the battery. The full specification from teh website is as follows:

Top Features of the Cateye Vectra Wireless Cycle Computer

  • Current speed
  • Trip distance
  • Odometer
  • Clock
  • Maximum speed
  • Auto start/stop
  • Universal Mount
  • Auto power saving
  • Sleep mode
  • Cordless transmission
  • Odometer set
  • Stem and handlebar mount

Cateye's new Vectra computer offers recreational riders cordless technology at a great price. Featuring five useful functions and seven features, the Vectra is easy to use and setup thanks its one-button operation.

Supplied with a multi mount bracket, the Vectra can be mounted to either the handle bars or the stem and is suitable for all types of bicycle.


No comments:

Post a Comment