Friday 4 March 2011

Chainstay Protector/Guard - Lizard Skin

An accessory I had noticed online and in retail stores were chain-stay protectors. Primarily made from a neoprene type material, in a variety of colours, my thoughts were generally quite dismissive.
"Why would you need an extra piece of material on your bike? ", "What good could they possibly be?" were some of the questions I asked myself.

After a few rides, when cleaning my bike, I started to notice a few minor chips and scratches on my chain-stay part of the frame. Then I became more observant when I was out on my ride, noticing that during downhill sections, my chain would 'slap' against the frame. This puzzled somewhat and concerned me a little, so the next time I was on-line I did a quick search for more information. I found a number of articles regarding the benefits of simply owning and using a chain-stay protector.
The neoprene types were recommended over self adhesive ones for a couple of reasons.
  1. The neoprene dampens the chain slap noise on the frame.
  2. The neoprene is harder wearing and provides increased protection
  3. The neoprene is removable so easy to clean and reposition
So after a little bit more reserach I decided on a Lizard Skin. Now their neoprene protectors come in a variety of colurs and three sizes (jumbo, large & standard). I decided on a Large size, which does fit but is a little tricky to attach as it is quite a snug fit on the wider part of the chainstay part of my frame. Although by the nature of the material neoprenr is very flexiable so can be strectched fairly easily to fit onto the velcro fixing strip.
The choice of colours is quite vast from red, blue and black to lots of other variants. They are not exactly cheap for waht they essential are (a small piece of neoprine with a strip of velcro!) with prices around  £7 to £10.
Luckily I recieved my weekly update email from one of the online big boys, who had a weekend special of a number of products. One of which was the Lizard Skin chain-stay protector. I clicked on teh link in teh email and purchased the large size listed for just £3.40, plus 50p P&P. A real bargain, one happy shopper.

In my haste I did not fully check my order details. The one that I had purchased was the colour variant pink!
My mistake and error, but I consouled myself with the thought "on dear nevermind, it won't be too bad and will be probarley be covbered in mud and grease within a couple of rides so the colour is not important" or so I hoped!

My parcel arrived, I opened it and was a little alarmed at the bright pink colour, but for the price I paid was still happy to fit it on my bike.
Once fitted and in use, it really came into it's own. No horrible chain slap noise, plus more importantly no damge to either my frame or my chain. A great investmentment and well worth my £3.40.
I would highly recommend purchasing one, if you haven't alraedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment