Saturday 14 May 2011

Bike Ride on Saturday 14th May 2011

Up this morning and weather looked much better than forecast. Quite windy, a bit cloudy but the occasional burst of sunshine, but most importantly dry.
Left home at just after 11:30am, heading towards the Castleman Trailway. Took a different route onto the trailway and found a great piece of single-track that runs adjacent to the main trailway, but is a little more twisting and has some little objects to avoid, such as tree roots, little rocks and twists in the pathway. Great fun and a faster more fun route to start with.
Once I reached Broadstone, it was back onto the main trailway. Trying to keep the pace high, I continued through Creekmoor and dropped down the very steep slope to then join the route up to Upton County Park.
Last week I discovered and overgrown path that links to a bridle path and an underpass that is used by the local farmer to move his cattle from fields either side of the road and traffic intersection by the dual carriageway and local roads. This not only saves a couple of minutes in time, it means that I don't have to try and cross some fast flowing roads of cars entering and exiting the dual carriageway.
Once in Upton County House it is a swift, sharp left hand turn and then through some really great single-track that twists and turns really nicely through the trees. Took a different path initially which was some great fun running alongside the fields.
Out the other side of Upton Country Park I exit onto the very picturesque Holes Bay part of Poole harbour. This pathway runs and twists around the harbour until you reach the large Asda supermarket on the outskirts of town.
Eight miles into my ride, I stop for a few minutes, take on some fluid and squeeze down a sachet of carbo gel from Hi5.
Then back on my bike, feeling good I decide to head further into Poole. Now at the quayside I decide to take a new route over the lifting bridge and along through Hamworthy. Traffic lights and road works make the first bit of the journey a little scary at times with cars getting a little frustrated and not allowing a great deal of room for bikes, but after this I was out onto the open road and heading through Hamworthy.
In-between the two railway bridges is an entrance back into Upton Country Park.  again a great route that is mainly flat with some great twists and turns.
Then I followed the same route back onto the Castleman Trailway and headed home.
Total ride was about 16 miles with average speed of 10.6mph.

My full route on Google maps, time averages and stats can be viewed on my Sports Tracker profile, just click the link below
http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/gtrudgett/e66bqq1h00p57kgq

No comments:

Post a Comment