Wednesday 27 April 2011

Bike Maintenance & Repairs: Home Learning or Use a Professional

A question more than an article today. I believe that I maintain my bike quite well. Endeavouring to keep it quite clean after each ride and using appropriate lubricants and maintenance products ensuring key components (chain, disc brake rotors, drive-chain etc) continue to work well.
But with hydraulic brakes, 24 gears and suspension front forks, I have very limited, maybe even non-existent, knowledge of how to maintain or repair these parts of my bike.
Therefore what is best for me? Do I read some bike maintenance books, watch the multitude of videos available on YouTube or try and find a local weekend course to give me a basic understand and knowledge. Or do I just defer to the professionals?
Part of me really wants to learn how to perform simple maintenance or repair jobs on my bike, but part of me says could I do more damage than good and I should just book my bike in for services and repairs with the professionals.
Locally I have a couple of professional options. A dedicated bike repair shop that I have visited and they are very passionate and dedicated, as their whole business is just bike repairs. Plus they have an extensive menu style repair options with jobs priced and defined clearly. They are called Cycle Fix http://www.cyclefix.co.uk/.
An alternative is a mobile repair service, which has been recommended to me by a couple of bikers. Have visited his website and exchanged emails with the owner. The big appeal is that he is mobile and will come to home or workplace to conduct and complete repairs. They will provide a quote before undertaking any work as well. The company is called Bike Fixed http://www.bike-fixed.com/index.html
My gears defiantly need adjusting, especially for low range, plus my rear hydraulic brake must need a bleed or new mineral oil as I have to pump the back brake quite hard to get any pressure for it then to work. Any comments or feedback would be greatly appreciated

No comments:

Post a Comment