Monday 18 April 2011

Wiggle Super Series: New Forest Spring MTB (Part One)

The day of my first mountain bike event was now only 24hrs away. Having booked my place before Christmas, the date and words "Wiggle MTB in Brock" 16th April written on the calendar had always seem an age away!
Now it was Friday, my work day had been pretty long as I had the joys of a 4hr journey back across the M25 from London after the closure of the M1, so didn't arrive home until 8pm.
So spent an hour or so sorting my kit and gear, setting up the car for the early start to Brockenhurst, plus took one final look at the local weather forecast.
So bike rack was fitted to the car, kit bag was checked and double checked, drinks and supplies all prepared, extensive instructions for the event all re-read, bike checked again after a fair bit of preparation earlier in the week and clothes laid out neatly, I was ready!
Early alarm: up, eat breakfast (porridge, yogurt, fruit and plenty of fluids), tried not to wake the family as I dressed and then loaded my bike onto the car and set off.
The weather was beautifully clear and crisp, a slightly fresh early Saturday spring morning. The clock in my car reads 7:20am!!!
Set off and the feeling of excitement and anticipation is consuming in a great way. Five minutes into my journey and disaster is just about averted!
The bike rack (high level mounted unit secured by straps to my small hatchback cars rear window/tailgate) I had borrowed from my Dad (which I had used on just the one occasion previously for a short journey) is not holding my bike securely when I travel at speeds in excess of 50mph on the dual carriageway. The wind is catching my bike and shifting it up and very nearly off the rack stems, only one item is preventing my bike flying backwards from my car at 50mph, my bike lock that I had secured around the bike and rack to prevent any opportunists liberating my bike if I needed to stop and leave the car anywhere.
A quite abrupt stop and safe pull over onto the hard shoulder of the dual carriageway then allowed me to try and improvise a solution, using items I located in around my car. So with extra measures and a slower average speed I made the journey from Poole and arrived safely at Brockenhurst college at just after 8:00am.
Saris Solo Car Bike Rack
Note to self - purchase your own bike rack, preferrably the Saris Solo!!
This is where my very memorable and pleasurable day started.
Sign-age to the venue was great with lots of signs, flags and banners. Once I drove in I was greeted by very happy, helpful and nice marshals who directed me to the parking area and then advised next steps and options.
I parked the car and then as instructed took my helmet to the registration area which was located in the very large sports hall. Registration was very straightforward and my timing chip was attached to the left side of my helmet, map provided for the route, next step instructions given and a free voucher for a most welcome free cup of tea or coffee.
After suitable refreshment it was back to my car, remove bike from rack, make final checks to bike and then on with my kit and head for start area.
Final stop for me was to the Satmap gazebo (http://www.satmap.co.uk), as I was one of the fortunate few to have registered early for a free trail of the very hi-tech piece of kit the Active 10 GPS mapping unit. The helpful team at Satmap fitted the bracket, set up the unit, selected my route and gave me a brief but very good user demonstration.
Confidence factor for NOT getting lost in the new forest was now extremely high!
Helmet - check, sunglasses - check, drink bottle - check, gloves on - check. All ready to ride. Pedalled over to the start line to begin my adventure.......

No comments:

Post a Comment