Monday 11 April 2011

New Forest Spring MTB Ride - Wiggle Super Series

I have entered my very first mountain bike event this coming Saturday 16th April 2011, which I saw advertised and promoted on the Wiggle website (www.wiggle.co.uk). Organised and run by UK Cycling Events (www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk).
Below is the YouTube preview video of the event from last year (2010).

I have entered the Standard Route (25 miles) and spent this weekend preparing. Firstly I started on my bike attaching, removing and prepping!
  1. Took off non-essential items (front and rear lights)
  2. Added pump holder to bottle cage
  3. Checked and added essential spares in wedge pack (inner tube, tyre leavers and multi-tool)
  4. Adjusted angle and location of gear shifters and brake levers to a more "race" friendly position
  5. Cleaned and lubricated gears and drive-chain, plus other basic checks (tyre pressures, pedals, forks, seat clamp)
Finally I prepared my kit that I intend to ride in, plus a few alternate options depending on what the weather will be like on Saturday.

The biggest challenge for me will be fitness. As 6 weeks ago I hurt my back and was diagnosed as having a prolapsed disc in my lower back. Still on quite high medication and an intense routine of daily strengthening exercises, this ride will be slightly more challenging for two reasons.
  1. I will have to ride the race in an upright position with a straight back as much as possible
  2. Due to my injury I have not had the opportunity to put many miles in my legs, so my fitness levels are not what I would want them to be.
Last week I received my very detailed instructions and guide for the day. I can not commend UK Cycling events enough with their excellent communication skills and guides.

So with good weather forecast this week I intend to keep my recovery levels high to ensure I get the OK to ride from my physio on Wednesday this week. Here's hoping!!!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment