Wednesday 20 April 2011

Wiggle Super Series: New Forest Spring MTB (Part Two)

Directed to the start line, there was now no turning back! About 10 of us lined up on the start line to get our final instructions and a very quick demo of the signs that we need to look out for.
The organisation was really second to none. Starting and continuing concurrently were 3 x MTB events (Standard, Epic & Fun) and 2 x Road Sportives.
As part of the MTB event I needed to follow the orange signs and look for the four times that the course split between standard route and epic route.
Helmet on, right SPD clipped in and we were off. A nice steady pace saw us leave the safe confinds of Brockenhurst College and out onto the roads of the New Forest.
It is 8:33am (according to my final timing card!)
After about 800 yards I see the first Course Split sign. I bear left onto the Standard route. After about 10 yards I look around and think I must have made my first mistake. Check the SatMap unit, shows that I am on the right route. Stop turn around ride back to junction and re-check the sign. Yep I am on the right route, all the other starters must be on the Epic route.
All alone I carry on following the signs, enjoying the moment. It is totally peaceful on the desolated and isolated forest roads. The early morning mist and freshness is abating fairly quickly as the sun tries to breakthrough.
After a couple of miles I am overtaken with a friendly cry of "morning, lovely day for a ride". Over the next couple of miles about 6 or 7 riders overtake with a wave or a friendly greeting.
The terrain and course is fantastic, mainly on forest paths that are gravelly and fairly loose in places ensuring good concentration levels. A few early climbs and small downhills follow.
After about 6 or 7 miles riding through a heavily tree-ed part of the forest I reach the most welcome but not expected Feed Station.
A few riders are already there. We exchange pleasantries and then I am offered a variety of "eat me now" and "take me with you" food choices.
In "eat now" I had a choice of swiss roll, flaps jacks, jelly beans and bananas. "take me with you" was bars and gels from the sponsors Hi5.
Pockets full and tummy refilled, I topped up my water bottle with Hi5 energy drink and then head back off on to the trail.

The sun had broken through and the slight 'nip' in the air was no more, a glorious sunny day was on the way! Not great news for me as I had foolishly decided on wearing my jacket. Initially I had not, but in the car park and walking between registration and my car, I decided that it was a little chilly and I needed a little more than just my short-sleeved jersey. Mistake number two!
The route and trail just got better and better. Sweeping through glorious picturesque country side, avoiding the wildlife (highland cattle & new forest ponies) at times was a fun element as they wandered with a care in the world across the trails and paths!
The climbs became a little harder but the downhills got even better. At around 20 miles I found Feed Station number two. This was most welcome particularly from a fluid point of view as I was getter hotter and hotter with my wrong choice of clothing.Refilled and refueled I was now on the home stretch. My SatMap unit read 90% of course complete!
One last climb and then the signs for Brockenhurst appeared like a vision to my tired limbs! I had ridden some of the previous miles in the company of a husband and wife which helped with my pace and motivation, and then with a couple of guys after we departed the Feed Station for a mile or so.
Now it was a race for me against the clock. In the welcome and joining instruction there was a guide to Gold, Silver and Bronze timings:

  • Gold: 2hrs 24mins with an average speed of 11mph
  • Silver: >2hrs 57mins with an average speed of 9mph
  • Bronze:<2hrs 57mins with average speed of <9mph
My ambition at the start line was to finish in around 3hrs, but now I had a chance if I could complete the last 4 miles in less than 25 minutes, to achieve Silver. Head down, cadence up and concentrating on my SatMap unit watching the miles count down and the average speed keep to over 8mph.
One last push along the final stretch of road into Brockenhurst, saw me ahead of target, I was maintaining an average speed of about 13 mph. The Wiggle banners and flags appeared as I turned a corner and then I pedaled hard for the last 100 yards to cross the line with a time of 2hrs 39mins 17secs - SILVER achieved!!!!
I was elated, but exhausted. Through the finishing funnel I went. A friendly marshal hung a silver medal around my neck, congratulated me and then handed me a very full goodie bag. I alighted from my bike and pushed it back towards the registration area. First I handed back my SatMap unit and received a full demonstration with my performance stats.

  • Average speed: 10.6mph
  • Max speed: 28.6mph
  • Total Distance: 27.1 miles
  • Average Mile Times: 5mins 40secs 
Then it was off to clean my bike. Other sponsors were Fenwicks and Mobi. So a quick spray and use of the Fenwicks cleaning products and brushes, along with the very good portable pressure washer from Mobi had my bike clean in minutes.
Overall the day was superb. The organisation and atmosphere was outstanding and everyone had a smile of their face. Highly recommended and I will be entering the Falling Leaves Autumn event on the 1st October.
Check out http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/ for rides or events near you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment