Tuesday 12 April 2011

Shall I Join A Mountain Bike Club?

To date I have generally ridden alone, which I enjoy and have no real issues with. Occasionally I have gone for a ride with a friend or work colleague, which is nice and the company is a pleasant change.
After a little research and some recommendations, a local mountain bike club was brought to my attention. They go by the amusing name of Dorset Rough Riders http://www.dorsetroughriders.co.uk/
Since visiting their website and reading up on their background and current activity I am really tempted to join.
The dilemma I have is where to start, as they categories their rides into three types (Easy, Medium and Hard). The main reason I am considering joining aside from the obvious joys of spending time with like minded people,. is their local knowledge of routes and locations.
I tend to ride very similar routes each time I go out, as I know the distance and what obstacles I will encounter. Although this is still fun, it can become a little repetitive.
The cost to join Dorset Rough Riders is just £15 for a year, which appears to exceptional value for money. The only downside I can maybe see is the volume of members the website claim they have. It may be a little crowded at peak times. I will try and blog how I get on when I have finally decided what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment